Sunday, October 19, 2008

Blues Travelin



Went down to the delta,

To listen to some blues.

Can’t seem to leave here,

Need to find myself a muse.


Stranded at the Crossroads

That sweet soulful beat.

Knowin I should move along,

But the music’s got my feet.


Went down to the delta

Found myself the blues.

The world, it keeps callin,

Please don’t make me choose.


I’m here in the delta,

Most leave for higher ground.

I think I’ve found my home site,

Great feelings all around.


Yep, I’m still in Mississippi. Clarksdale, MS to be exact. I realize its been a bit since I’ve last written, and many of you may be looking here for stories that involve you (most likely cringing in fear that I’ll include an encounter or picture of you), but, I’m sorry to say you’ll have to keep waiting.


Ya see, this is the first time I’ve had real electricity since leaving Michigan in September. Apart from an occasional run of the generator (to make morning coffee), I’ve been living ‘off the grid’ as much as possible. So, as you can imagine, any contact with computers has been a very low priority.


So, you’re just going to have to wait a bit longer to hear about the trip to Chicago for the birthday/anniversary and Olympics party; the demolition derby in Elkton; the stock car races in Owendale; the rained out Born to Be Wild Days (bike rally); and the 10th Anniversary Bay City Wine Walk (no, I’m not gay , but when you’re invited to spend an evening walking around town with some very attractive ladies, tasting wine, you don’t say no, even if you don’t like wine).


You’re also going to have to wait to hear about the trip thru Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Mississippi on my way to Helena, AR for the Blues and Heritage Fest (aka King Biscuit Blues Fest). As a matter of fact, unless something changes by the end of this evening, you’re even going to have to wait to hear about the festival itself.


See, all of those events, experiences and the people I encountered along the way really deserve an entire entry of their own. But, since I finally have electricity, rather than sit at a computer and write, I’m gonna sit in front of the fan and have another beer.


So, if you are anywhere near Clarksdale, MS, or within 2 or three hundred miles from here, give me a call. Since I’ve scored a parking spot near downtown (can you say ‘Center of the Blues’?) and snuck an extension cord into a nearby shed, I think I’ll be here for a while.


Where I’m livin.









Where I’ll be Thursday night.








(Update - I wrote this a few days ago, but my uplink was so slow I couldn't post anything. Hopefully I'll be able to post a bunch of stuff I've written in the past couple days.)

Lon

1 comment:

Cooper-Youngian said...

Aloha Lon and Coffey,

I finally made time to sit down at this ole cute computer thang and read your blog.. Wonderful stories~ Love the blues song too! It was great meeting you, and I finally sold the VW Van last weekend!

Isn't Helena a magical place? It tis the center of my universe.. Helena is the reason why I moved to Memphis and continue to dance the blues all the time!! Hope you'll make it to the King Biscuit again next year and the year after and the year after and keep on coming! Do give Coffey some sweet sweet sugar for me. Such a sweet love! You have one special animal! Pure love!

Keep in touch.

peace love and much blues,
Heidi ho

Life is exceptionally good. ;-)