Sunday, October 19, 2008

Call me a redneck, country boy or white trash


After spending too much time in “the city”, it was good to be back home in the farming communities of Michigan, where I could once again relive some of the fun of my childhood. The draw back of flat, straight roads (not much fun on the bikes) was made up for by such activities as standing in pole barns watching guys prepare cars and livers for the upcoming demolition derby.

I’ve already told you about the Cheeseburger days and other activities, so lets do a run down of the rest of my Michigan stay (since I’ve been gone for almost a month now).


The above mentioned demolition derby was great. As mentioned, it starts months, days, or in this particular case, hours before the event, when folks gather to try to get a car running well enough to take into a field and smash it against other cars. I was fortunate enough to have an inside tract with an actual demolition derby driver!


From best I can tell, his qualifications were that 1) he had a car he wanted to smash, 2) he had friends that would bring beer over to encourage him to smash his car, III) they brought paint. And after the derby itself, you get to see really cool peaces of equipment getting used!



Also on the list of activities was the season finally at the Owendale Speedway! This is a ¼ mile clay, oval stock car racing track! I made a couple calls and got Todd to bring his son, and Chris to bring his boys (things like this are always more fun with kids involved!), as well as a couple coolers of beverages and we enjoyed the evening of dirt and noise (yeah, it’s a guy thing). Lots of action, much fender bumping and even a multiple roll over (no one was hurt). I can’t believe I forgot my camera, so I had to try to get shots with my phone, and alas, no shots of the guys.



A couple weeks later had me parked at the city park in Elkton, MI for the “Born to Be Wild” days, aka Hog Wild bike rally.

Jim rode up on Friday, in the rain and it pretty much didn’t stop the entire weekend. Kevin pulled in on Saturday and as things would have it, we were surrounded by other friends from past lives, so despite the weather, a LOT of fun was had (or so they told me). Due to the rain, this is where I lived for the rest of the next week till it was dry enough to move the house.


Michigan also included a trip down to visit Kevin and Sharon and family and see the sweet shop they are opening in Metamora, MI (www.chocolateinked.com). I’m sorry I didn’t get any pictures when I passed thru again as they were opening. I’ll be back, and thanks for the great time spent with you and the kids.


Can you believe that after all these years, my brother Dale and I hadn’t been on a bike trip together? Well, that was remedied by a trip north to get the hunting cabin ready for deer season. We had great weather and with Dale’s knowledge of the area, some GREAT riding. We even met up with the Liberty Riders Motorcycle Club from Mio and joined them for a bit and a tour of the club “compound”. Of course it wasn’t all fun, as we worked with Dad and Gary to cut wood and ready the cabin for hunting season.




My last hurrah while in MI was Bay City’s 10th Annual Wine Walk! Before my smart-alec friends say anything, take a look at this picture and tell me that YOU would have declined the offer to go along! LOL The rest of the pictures will be kept under password protection, and only shared on a need to know basis.


Well, the weather starting to cool off, and the Arkansas Blues and Heritage Festival quickly approaching, it was time for me to pack up and start my southward, snow bird journey. It wasn’t without sadness of leaving family, friends and some very special newly acquired friends that I made my way out of the state. But, God willing, I’ll be back next summer (if not before) to pick up where we left off!


No comments: