Saturday, September 11, 2010

Leitchfield, Kentucky

That’s the last time I stop for gas in Leitchfield, Kentucky.

Okay, its not Leitchfield’s fault. See, I was on my way from Michigan back to Texas, and still not having decided how I’d return, or when, I chose to take the Western Kentucky Byway to enjoy the scenery; and when I stopped for gas, I noticed someone had leaked transmission fluid in the gas station lot. Well, that someone turned out to be me. Keep in mind I’m driving my F350 Diesel truck, pulling my house, with not one, but two motorcycles (thanks to the additional bike purchased in Michigan) loaded in the back, and my trusty dog, Coffey riding in the back seat of the truck. So here I am with my house and worldly possessions and a disabled truck.

Two and half hours later, my truck was on a flatbed tow truck heading 30 miles east and my house was connected Mr. Duvall’s truck heading 15 miles south to what I could only hope was a functional campground (did I mention I was kinda in the middle of nowhere in Kentucky?).

Long (trust me, very long) story short, I’m getting a new transmission put in the truck (and no, given that the truck is a 1997 with over 200,000 miles, it is not covered by warrantee) and I’m sitting in a campground for the next 4 days (in this case, a weekend is just adding to the shipping time of parts).

Yesterday, I made the most of it by unloading one of the bikes and going for a ride (8 hours, 100 miles, you do the math). But unfortunately today I woke up to rain and it looks like its going to rain harder, with possible thundershowers, tomorrow. So having 2 bikes isn’t doing me a lot of good.

If nothing else, maybe I’ll catch up on this blog thing.

(By the way, Mr. Duvall called me this morning, just to check in to make sure everything was okay, and to see how it shook out with the transmission. Folks in these parts have been very accommodating.)

No comments: