Friday, June 19, 2009

Chicago Blues, Family, and Friends


I have to admit that after nearly 2,800 miles in 6 days on the bike, my butt was starting to get a little sore by the end of the last day. But (no pun intended) I'd do it again in a second. There's something so free about riding the bike, versus being cooped up in a car for that many miles and days.

This year's trip for the Chicago Blues Fest had more twists than normal. Besides actually starting out with good tires, fresh oil and a clean bike....wait, nope, sorry, the bike was definitely not clean. But that was because it was raining when I left on Thursday morning. Anyway, this years trip was going to not only include the blues festival, but also a side trip to Michigan for a family picnic/graduation party. And, rather than a quick night's stop-over in Memphis on the way home, it would involve an extra few miles south to Clarksdale, MS, Home of the Blues.
So, I leave Thursday morning in the rain and head north. The plan was to grab a room when I got to about 4 hours out of Chicago. Then, on Friday I would ride into Chicago and meet up with Joy, who was flying in from Denver. Well, after about 12 hours of riding on Thursday, I decided that 4 more hours to get there wouldn't be so bad. So, I called Casa de Bill and verified a late (or perhaps I should say early AM) arrival and cold beer would be permissible. Nothing like 16 hours on the bike to begin a weekend!
After about 4 hours of sleep, Bill and I ventured out on Friday morning for the festival. Very quickly we found out that "pot hole construction" had the expressway into Chicago shut down. So, Bill lead us thru some of the more colorful neighborhoods on the back way into the city. What a diverse city it is! It was a sunny, cool morning and people were out everywhere. There was music in the streets and everyone seemed to be in a festive mood, even though they were going about their busy Saturday morning routines.
Our tour finally came to an end in Chicago and we met Joy at Victor's condo. If you don't know the story of Victor and his 30th floor condo overlooking Lake Michigan, Lake Shore Drive, Grant Park (where the festival is held) and the city, well apparently you haven't been paying attention.
Okay, this is where I have to tell you about Saturday's plans. Normally, Saturday is when my friends would come down and meet us at the fest. But this year I had a family party in Michigan to go to. You see, my Uncle Ric has been having family picnics for the past couple years (which I haven't managed to attend) and this year he combined it with my cousin Stephanie's graduation party. And since Uncle Vince was going to make the trek down from Northern Michigan; and some aunts and uncles (and as it turns out, cousins) from Canada were going to be there; and since Eric was going to be in town.....that's a bit of an understatement, since he lives in Egypt (http://backpackerconcierge.com/). Well, you get the idea. Oh, and I didn't tell my folks I'd be there, so that was kinda fun too. After all, it was only 5 hours from Chicago!
So, because I wasn't going to be at the fest on Saturday, most everyone was able to oblige me and come down to the fest on Friday. Due to the shortened schedule, I didn't get any great shots of musicians that I'd like to share, but I did get lots of good shots of friends.




Starting out with the Three Amigos/Musketeers/Stooge's/Friends (and Al! LOL)




Of course, also keeping in tradition, we have Russ and Ken and very dignified poses.








Here's a shot of the group early in the day.



And later in the evening.










I also managed to find MadDog and Tall Jim, whom I had met at the Arkansas Blues and Heritage Festival back in October.
Be sure to notice the banner in the background for the newly formed Windy City Blues Society (http://windycityblues.org/). There were other old and new friends, as is typical for the festival.


After the fest, Bill, Joy and I caught a cab to Buddy Guy's Legends for more music, and then another cab to the White Palace for breakfast. This last stop was a good idea, since I wouldn't make time to eat until about 1pm the next day.

Speaking of the next day, that's when I headed for Michigan. Just like Thursday, I started the day out in the rain. Unlike Thursday, it rained for HOURS on my trip to the family gathering. But, I managed to make it just fine without incident (remember the note at the beginning about new tires? Well I definitely tested their traction capabilities on this trip).

Like I mentioned earlier, there were aunts, uncles and cousins, many of which I hadn't seen in probably 20 years or more, and some of which I don't remember ever meeting at all! At this point, I'm going to post a few of pictures. If your family, hopefully you know who everyone is. If you aren't family, you don't really care anyway.

We'll start with a toast to the graduate (she's the one without the toast!).
And here's Dale, Kelly, my folks and Uncle Ric.










And still more family.

After the party, I followed my folks to their place for the night. After all, it was only an additional 3 hours north. We had a nice visit that evening and the next day, before I headed south about 2pm.

I took a day and a half, the half of which started out in the rain, as usual, to get to Clarksdale, where I was going to meet up with Mary Jane. And can you believe that as many times as I've been to Clarksdale, I've never been to the Delta Blues Museum? Well I toured it on Tuesday and enjoyed it very much. I also attended a reception at the Greyhound Station for the opening of the Farmers Market with MJ and Laura. I really like the town, and the people are so friendly and welcoming (as a note, I swung past Tricia's Italian Restaurant and Pie Hole, to check on their progress. Lights and the drop ceiling were being installed, so its definitely coming along. I'll keep you posted.)


Wednesday's forcast for my ride home was HOT! Yes, I'd have an 8 hour ride, facing west, in 90+ degree heat. Rain would have been very welcome. I arrived home to a happy dog, a dry yard and the reality that the next planned music festival isn't until the King Biscuit in October. But, I'm planning to go to Michigan in August for the Cheeseburger In Paradise festival so I've got some time to rest my butt and clean the bike.

Life is good, ride safe.



No comments: