Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Commentary by Lon?


I know, you came here hoping to find a story about a blues fest or a motorcycle ride, or perhaps some story written with a lot of poetic license involving references to beer and/or shaving my head. But, since I didn’t make it to church on this fine, overcast, fall Sunday morning, I decided to write up something that has been on my mind for quite some time.


Now, I’ll joke with my friends about political subjects, typically taking the opposite side of what they think, regardless of fact. But I don’t usually take a side or a stance, mainly because I can see both sides of many of the issues, and don’t usually agree 100% with either. But since the presidential elections and all the bickering I’ve gotten a little put out by some of the things I’ve been hearing. Namely people complaining about the ideas of “redistributing the wealth” and taking from the rich and giving to the undeserving. To my Republican friends, frankly some of you are sounding pretty selfish with your “its my money, I shouldn’t have to share it with anyone” attitude.


But this rant isn’t about politics. It’s about giving. What happened to people helping their neighbor because they want to, not cause the government tells them they have to? I can’t help to think that if people had more of a caring and sharing attitude, maybe we wouldn’t need so many rules, regulations and taxes.

1 John 3:17-18 (New International Version)

17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? 18 Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.


And now we are talking about an economy that is in trouble, and the news is filled with stories about the “holiday shopping season”, and how retailers are trying to draw people in to buy from their businesses. Do these businesses care that people are losing their homes, or having problems paying their utility bills? Of course not, because those people are worried about maintaining their standard of living and their jobs. I’m not criticizing people that are trying to separate you and your money, but rather hoping you’ll realize that they aren’t looking out for your best interest. That “SALE” that is going on isn’t there to help YOU!


Last year, my sister and brother came up with a great alternative to exchanging Christmas gifts amongst the family. Each family researched and chose a “cause”, if you will, to make a contribution to. There were no rules with respect to what the cause could be or the contribution itself. The point was to bring the individual families together to help those that are less fortunate, in the spirit of the season. And then to share their choice with the rest of the family. It didn’t matter if it was shopping to provide products and services, or sending a gift of money, the purpose was to help other’s in any way we could, in the name of Christmas (and Jesus Christ, if I may add that).


Now, I’m not sharing this to toot our horns. I know there are families out there that are doing much more than this. My reason for telling this is to maybe provoke some thought as to what we can do to share our good fortunes with some that might be less fortunate. And sharing happily, not because someone tells us we have to. You might be saying “But Lon, I’m one of those people that is having problems meeting my bills, you can’t possibly expect ME to give money to some charity.” Definitely NOT! I’m not suggesting anyone jeopardize their own financial situation in the name of giving (although if you’d like to discuss my opinions and experiences with tithing, I’d be more than happy to have that discussion!). What I am suggesting is that you look for ways that YOU can help others. Maybe its mowing the yard of a neighbor that is unable to. Or perhaps your family volunteers to deliver meals to someone that can’t leave their home. Maybe you collect blankets from neighbors and family, to donate to a shelter. You get the idea – you don’t have to spend money to show compassion. Maybe you have time to give; or knowledge to share; or a skill to use to make someone else’s life just a little bit better. And imagine, if you can, how it will affect those in your family. Trust me, hearing about organizations, both local and international, that were helped by the Ricker/Roberts families was far better than watching anyone open a present!


So I challenge you that this year, instead of drawing names or buying presents for everyone in your family (be it immediate or extended), why not suggest volunteering everyone’s time to help a family or organization in need? There ARE two rules to this little challenge – 1) You must do it joyfully, not begrudgingly, and 2) you must not do it so you can brag about it!

Matthew 6:1-4 (New International Version)

1 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Life is Good.

Give Joyfully.

Lon




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have found yourself without even knowing it. Beautiful words from a beautiful man. Remember, when God willed you, he created a beautiful man :) Sunrise, sunset....Thinking of you, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Amen.